|Boats waiting to take off in the morning. Courtesy of the ABC.|
- First flight: 7:00am to 3:00pm
- Second flight: 7:15am to 3:15pm
- Third flight: 7:30am to 3:30pm
- Fourth flight 7:45am to 3:45pm
|Nice bass caught in the Atikokan Bass Classic - Courtesy of ABC.|
Besides the fishing tournament, Atikokan goes all out and has a Bass Classic Family Fishing Festival. Some events started on August 6th but there is still a lot going on. Tuesday night there is a camp-out at the Atikokan Public Library from 6:30-8:00pm (registration required, ages 10-12), the Atikokan Bass Classic Dart Tournament at the Legion and a Poker Bike Ride at the Charleson Recreation Area. On Wednesday there is a Pow-wow under the Big Tent, Couples Golf, Game Night at the Atikokan Public Library from 6:30-8:00pm for ages 12 & up and fireworks at dusk at the White Street Ball Park.
|Atikokan Bass Classic Boat Parade. - Courtesy of ABC.|
Thursday is jammed packed with activities: A Farmer's Market at the Atikokan Foodland Parking lot from 10am-5pm, Artisan Tent at the greenspace beside CIBC, Funtastic Castle Kid's Event, Outdoor Games at the Library, Beer Gardens, the Parade of Boats on Main Street at 6pm and the ANFC Fish Fry under the Big Tent and more. The actual Fishing Tournament is on the Friday and Saturday (August 12-13). Friday also has a Bake-off, Beer Gardens, Movie Day at the Library and Country Singer Chris Janson in the evening. Day 1 weigh-in is at 3pm under the Big Tent. The festival ends Saturday with a day of fishing, Jumper Fun at the corner of Main & White Streets, Beer Gardens and a Street Dance featuring Night Train. Day 2 weigh-in for the Atikokan Bass Classic is at 3pm. For a complete schedule of events and more information on each event visit the Atikokan Bass Classic website.
With so much going on, there's surely something that will peek your interest. For more information on Atikokan or places to stay, visit the Atikokan Economic Development Corporation, the Town of Atikokan, the Atikokan Chamber of Commerce or www.ontariotowns.net/Atikokan
Stay tuned for the 2011 Atikokan Bass Classic Results!
UPDATE: Results of the 2011 Atikokan Bass Classic
Kevin Rissanen of Atikokan and Cory Nephin of Geraldton blew the competition away with a total of 42.62 lbs. Second place went to to Kim and Aaron Wiens of Atikokan with 36.54 lbs. It was a fairly close race from second place all the way to sixth place. The big fish on day one went to Doug and Greg Sampson with a 5.75 pounder. Day two had a heavier big fish with Ed Gouliquer and Jim Bauler bringing in a nice 6.19 lb bass. The big fish on day one helped Doug and Greg Sampson to catch the biggest bag the first day. Their total was 22.09 lbs which would be the biggest bag of the fishing tournament. The biggest catch of day two went to winners Kevin Rissanen and Cory Nephin with a total of 21.21 lbs. Consistency was key for Rissanen and Nephin as the first day they also had a good day of bass fishing bringing in a total of 21.41 lbs.
The top 10 anglers at the 2011 Atikokan Bass Classic:
- Kevin Rissanen, Cory Nephin - 42.62 lbs
- Aaron and Kim Wiens - 36.54 lbs
- Joe and Rick Machura - 36.34 lbs
- Doug and Greg Sampson - 36.2 lbs
- Leroy and Mike Wilson - 36.08 lbs
- Shane Manford, Cuffy Kehl - 36.01 lbs
- Glenn Leroux, Trevor Zimak - 35.64 lbs
- Dave Williams, Scott Manford - 34.99 lbs
- Pete Politis, Shawn Anderson - 34.69 lbs
- Kevin and Curtis Ritchie - 34.06 lbs
- Best Parent & Child under 16 - Jody and Jeremy Shypit
- Best Grandparent & Grandchild under 16 - Austin and Larry Loew
- Best All Women Team - Debbie Coulson and Cathy Dayman
- Best Male/Female Team - Rene and Deb Cadence
- Hidden Weight Day One - Dave Galusha and Vic Alberts
- Hidden Weight Day Two - Jody and Jeremy Shypit
- Young Angler Award - Jeremy Shypit