|Sun setting in Ontario|
Having Fun Taking Pix of the SunFor many years I've been taking pictures of the setting sun. Sunset pictures are immortal, ever since photos became common amongst the public a good pic of the setting sun has been a "keeper" for many a photographer. After taking literally hundreds of sunset shots I know a few things:
- No two sunsets are the same. Depending on time of year, sun angle, atmospheric conditions and other variables, a camera setting that takes a good pic the previous day may not be right the next day.
- Be careful when you focus on the sun, it is important you don't look directly at the sun itself as you can damage your eyes.
- Experiment with your shutter speeds and f-stops, change them up and see what you get.
- The look of the sun can change every 10 or 15 seconds, especially as it dives beneath the horizon.
- Have fun, use things like trees and clouds to give your image some perspective. Don't center every shot, use the principle of "thirds"" when composing your image.