Monday, March 22, 2010

Spring Ice Fishing Trip


Ice Fishing in Sunset Country, Ontario

One of the perks of being Executive Director of the Travel Association, are the invites I get to experience what we have to offer here in Northwestern Ontario. A great winter experience is ice fishing. I was lucky enough to have Kenora area guide Jeff Gustafson ask me to go try an evening out on the ice.

Getting out there around 5:00 PM the fishing was good right from the start. There were 6 of us fishing - Jeff and I, Jeff's dad, two friends from Minnesota and another local like me. Just about as soon as I arrived one of three "pop-ups" set with a cisco and targeted

at big pike sprung up. I had the honour of pulling in the fish - a small northern this time - unlike the 15+ pound fish they had caught the day before. While this was going on, one of the Minnesota anglers pulled in about a 10 pound lake trout - in the same area. This was followed by some large walleye, one over 28 inches. This all paled in comparison to the 40 inch lake trout pulled in by the lone lady angler on the ice - what a fish!


Here I am with the 27 inch walleye I had the opportunity to pull out of the ice. I really thought the fish would have fought harder given its size. She was beautiful and after this picture, I returned her back down the hole and into the lake. Needless to say the pace of the action was crazy from the get go - and a tremendous amount of fun! Thanks to Jeff Gustafson for the great day on the ice.


Ice Fishing was a great way to end this year's winter. Now it time to start planning your 2010 summer vacation.

No comments: